The Omega 3 fatty acids have been very popular among athletes recently. The main reason for this is their role in regulating immunity.
The regular intensive sports activities reflect negatively on our immunity and the insufficient intake of omega 3 and omega 6 essential fatty acids is a potentially ticking bomb.
The Omega fatty acids, and, in particular, omega-3, are called essential because the human body cannot synthesize them from other non-essential materials.
The consumption of sources of omega-3 is the modern diet is too little unlike the intake of omega-6 sources. This creates a strong imbalance.
The full deficit of omega-3 fatty acids is impossible, but very low levels in certain groups of people can be observed as the most common of them are vegans, because their fish and animal products consumption are low, and plant sources of omega-3 are not sufficient.
Insufficient levels of omega-3 and especially of DHA are the reason for adverse conditions such as anxiety, aggression, difficulties in memorizing and impaired carbohydrate metabolism.
Top 10 Omega-3 Supplements Reviewed
1) Controlled Labs OxiMega Fish Oil
What Is Controlled Labs OxiMega Fish Oil Used For
Controlled Labs Orange Oximega contains a Scandinavian fish extract that is rich in the essential omega fatty acids EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid).
The polyunsaturated fatty acids take part in the construction of the cell membranes and are therefore extremely important for the body. Athletes, of course, are interested in their important role in the building of muscle mass.
A dose of this high-quality extract gives the body about 60% of EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). The popular dietary supplements proteins, stimulants, fat burners, and others are very important in the training process. The body needs basic nutrients for these supplements to start showing any effect.
The body needs nutrients that will help it perform its vital activity optimally. As a result of this, quality muscle-building processes occur.
Why Controlled Labs Fish Oil
If you add Controlled Labs Orange triad to the polyunsaturated omega fatty acids, then your body will have all the essential nutrients - vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, immunostimulants, digestive enzymes, heart and joint protectors, fruits and vegetable extracts.
Perhaps you have taken fish oil supplements before. We are sure that you haven’t seen a kind of fish oil of such a clean and good quality like this one.
What Are the Benefits of This Product and Who Should Take It
The capsules themselves are the embodiment of the last word of technology. They are easy to swallow. They have excellent taste and citrus aroma. Their coating is designed to withstand the gastric juices so that they break down in the small intestine, which increases their digestibility. They contain vitamin E, which improves the quality of the fish oil.
The fish oil itself is perfectly purified from toxins and harmful substances. Controlled Labs Orange Oximega is, of course, a product containing shock dosages of EPA/DHA fatty acids and is designed for athletes that train with high loads. Anybody who is seeking for the powerful effect of the omega-3 fatty acids can take advantage of its special health formula.
For regular use take 2 softgels once or twice per day with the main meals. Take this product daily with plenty of water.
Start by taking 1 softgel to assess your individual tolerance. If you experience any unusual occurrence, stop. Also if you are prone to dehydration or are subjected to extremely hot temperatures must consume with more water than usual.
2) Now Foods Ultra Omega 3 Fish Oil
NOW Foods Ultra Omega 3 Fish Oil Overview
NOW Foods Ultra Omega 3 Fish Oil is a fish oil supplement containing high concentrations of omega-3 essential fatty acids. They are a group of fats that are vital for our health and organism, so we have to get them from food or take them as dietary supplements.
What Are the Main Benefits of Omega-3
- A high concentration of EPA and DHA fatty acids;
- For the healthy cardiovascular system;
- Reduces the risk of atherosclerosis;
- It lowers blood pressure;
- Supports the nervous system;
- Improves the memorizing;
- Reduces the risk of a heart attack;
- Reduces fat;
- Reduces cholesterol.
How This Product Can Be Beneficial to My Health
- The fish oil (omega-3 fatty acids) is derived from the fat of the deep-water freshwater fish.
- Ultra Omega-3 Fish Oil (Ultra Omega-3) is a complex of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids with a high concentration, which favorably affects the cardiovascular system, significantly reducing the risk of atherosclerosis and heart attack. They are precursors of the prostaglandins (a group of lipid physiologically active substances), which help lower high blood pressure, migraines, headaches, arthritis, and others.
- Ultra Omega-3 Fish Oil (Ultra Omega-3) maintains the normal function of the brain and nervous system, improves memory and contributes to heart health, joint mobility. It also participates in the construction of cell membranes and blood sugar metabolism.
How This Product Guarantees Quality
- The natural concentration of fish oil in this product is specially controlled for the presence of hazardous components, such as heavy metals and mercury.
- This oil gets encapsulated in pills by special technology. The pills are hermetically sealed and thus the oil is protected from oxidation and separation.
What Is the Concentration Of EPA and DHA In This Product
Ultra Omega-3 Fish Oil (Ultra Omega-3) has a higher concentration of the fatty acids EPA and DHA than Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000 mg.
Take 1 softgel 1 to 2 times daily with food.
3) Optimum Nutrition Fish Oil
What Is Optimum Nutrition Fish Oil
Optimum Nutrition Fish Oil (Fish Oil) is a natural source of fats - it contains two essential omega-3 fatty acids. These fish oil supplements contain almost 1,000 mg of fish oil, 120 mg of DHA and 180 mg of EPA. The formula also has Vitamin E for the better and faster absorption of the fatty acids.
What Is Fish Oil
Fish Oil is the best source of Omega-3 fatty acids. This product is the best solution for those seeking the essential effects of the omega-3 fatty acids. It is particularly suitable for young athletes. The fish oil (omega-3 fatty acids) is derived from the fat of the deep-water freshwater fish.
Take 1-2 softgels, up to 3 times daily, with meals.
4) Natrol Omega-3 Fish Oil
What Does Natrol Omega-3 Contain
Get yourself the health benefits of the "good fats" with Omega-3 by Natrol. They contain 1200 mg of useful and perfectly purified fish oil. This product maintains the balance of nutrients that are necessary for the functioning of the eyes, heart, and bones.
The technological process of Natrol® ensures the maximum purity of the final product, top quality, and elimination of any traces of pesticides, chlorine compounds, and heavy metals. Omega-3 by Natrol is a completely natural fish oil supplement, source of EPA and DHA that will help you reach and maintain your optimal health.
Take 1 softgel, two times daily, with a meal.
5) ALLMAX Nutrition Omega 3 Fish Oil
ALLMAX Omega-3 Fish Oil Concentrate Overview
Athletes have long known the power of fish oil products for achieving of peak physical strength. Only recently has the rest of the world got interested in the wide range of health benefits that this supplement can offer.
Pure concentrate of fish oil:
- Source of Omega-3 fatty acids (EFA);
- Excellent source of EPA and DHA;
- It helps support the brain and heart health.
The Deficiency of Omega-3
In North America, it is common for people to have diets deficient in omega-3 essential fatty acids (EFAs), or diets with too much of unbalanced plenty of omega-6 and omega-9 EFAs. Known as the healthiest fats, Omega-3 EFAs provide a wide range of benefits for health and productivity.
A wide range of studies has shown that the increased consumption of omega-3 fatty acids improves the elasticity of the artery walls and helps reduce the harmful levels of the plasma triglycerides.
Since EFAs are found in high concentrations in the brain, they are essential for nerve conduction and brain function. In addition, the shortage of omega-3 EFAs can impair learning and memorizing abilities.
The Benefits of Omega-3 Usage
Studies have shown that fish oil may also be used for weight loss. It is proven that the consumption of more than 3 grams per day of omega-3 EFAs can lead to 26% of weight loss.
- Omega-3 fish oil can help relieve refractory depression in children and adults.
- Omega-3 fish oil reduces symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, such as morning stiffness and weakness in the joints.
- Omega-3 fish oil reduces angina.
- Omega-3 fish oil inhibits the production of fat cells.
- Omega-3 fish oil helps cope with mental stress and maintains lower cortisol levels.
- Omega-3 fish oil reduces the production of arachidonic acid and all others that contribute to prostate cancer.
- Omega-3 fish oil can help the development of children.
- Omega-3 fish oil can help reduce the risk of developing breast, colon and prostate cancer.
- Omega-3 fish oil can reduce the risk of asthma symptoms.
- Omega-3 fish oil may help improve a wide range of psychiatric disorders and disorders, such as depression, bipolar disorder, Alzheimer's disease, aggression, memory loss, and learning difficulties.
- Omega-3 fish oil can reduce the risk of arrhythmia of the heart.
- Omega-3 fish oil can help prevent cardiovascular diseases, including fatal and non-fatal heart attacks, strokes, sudden cardiac death and coronary heart disease (stenocardia).
- Omega-3 fish oil can reduce the susceptibility to ventricular arrhythmia.
- Omega-3 fish oil reduces platelet aggregation.
- Omega-3 fish oil reduces the level of triglycerides.
- Omega-3 fish oil can slow atherosclerosis.
- Omega-3 fish oil can lower blood pressure.
- Omega-3 fish oil can promote the production of nitric oxide and endothelial relaxation.
- Omega-3 fish oil has an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Omega-3 fish oil is recommended for diabetes and hypertension.
- Omega-3 fish oil can relieve symptoms of dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation).
- Omega-3 fish oil can alleviate the symptoms of schizophrenia.
- Omega-3 fish oil may be beneficial to patients with ulcerative colitis when added to standard therapy.
What Does ALLMAX Omega-3 Contain
ALLMAX Omega-3 EFAs is an ultra-pure, highly concentrated form of Omega-3, derived from pure deep-water cold-water fish. It is produced through a licensed certified technology for molecular distillation, which guarantees that you get the purest Omega-3 dietary supplement.
ALLMAX Omega-3 EFAs are lead, cadmium, arsenic, and mercury-free. In fact, the ALLMAX Omega 3 essentials have received IFOS 5-Star for outstanding purity – the highest rating possible.
Placed in a dark blue translucent PET packaging, ALLMAX Omega-3 EFAs are protected from a light source and so is their degradation. Each capsule has a perfectly smooth coating, evenly tapered and easy to swallow, not like the rough coating of some other capsules.
For regular use take 2 softgels once or twice per day with the main meals. Take this product daily with plenty of water.
6) Jarrow Formulas EPA-DHA
What Is EPA-DHA Balance
EPA-DHA Balance® by Jarrow is a product with unique qualities, which contains ultra-purified (through molecular distillation) and highly concentrated omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil. It provides synergistic benefits of both omega-3 essential fatty acids in a ratio of 2: 1.
Each easy to swallow capsule provides 600 mg of EPA and DHA (with no fish smell, with a natural strawberry flavor), which is two times more than the standard products offered on the market today
What Is the Role of EPA and DHA In Human Body
The omega-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) have been widely researched and scientifically validated to support the anti-inflammatory balance, joint function, cardiovascular and brain health.
Unfortunately, fish is one of the most contaminated food groups throughout the world. As a result of this, the intake of fish oil will not get you the expected health benefits. The worse thing is that it could be potentially unsafe unless it is free from harmful pollutants, such as heavy metals and pesticides.
How Is Jarrow Fish Oil Produced
Fish oil supplement by Jarrow is produced in the most high-end licensed pharmaceutical facility and meets the most exacting standards for purity in the world, including CRN, Prop 65, and the European pharmaceutical standards.
Advanced and highly effective purification processes, such as double molecular distillation, are used for the obtaining of pure omega-3 fatty acids (DHA and EPA), as well as for the keeping of the product’s "freshness".
1 gel-capsule 1-2 times a day with meals or as directed by your qualified health care professional.
If you have a medical condition (especially allergies to seafood or coagulopathy), you have a forthcoming operation, you are pregnant, nursing, trying to conceive, under the age of 18, or are taking medicamentation (especially anticoagulants), consult your doctor before using this product.
The natural strawberry flavor and mixed natural tocopherols (from soy). The gel-capsule is composed of gelatin, glycerin, and water.
Fish (anchovies and sardines).
Wheat, gluten, dairy, eggs, shellfish, peanuts or shell fruits.
7) Solgar Omega-3 EPA-DHA
What Is the Purpose of Omega-3
- Fish oil supplements assist the health and activity of the cardiovascular system;
- Reduces cholesterol (reduces triglycerides;
- Improves the ratio of “good” and “bad” cholesterol);
- Reduces high blood pressure; inflammatory processes (such as in rheumatoid arthritis);
- Supports the growth of intestinal cells/absorption of nutrients;
- Supports the myelin sheath surrounding the nerves (it gets impaired in the multiple sclerosis disease);
- Supports the countering of autoimmune processes.
How Omega-3 Can Improve Brain Functions
DHA is necessary for the development of the brain and the eyes. This omega-3 fatty acid is the basic building structure of the brain and the retina of the eyes (babies get it through breast milk).
60% of the brain is fats and DHA is the most abundant fatty acid in the brain. It supports brain activity (learning, concentration, etc.) and eye function. DHA is important for the good functioning of the membrane cells.
Take one 1 softgel twice daily, preferably with a meal, or as directed by a healthcare practitioner.
8) Barlean's Fish Oil
Barlean's Omega-3 Overview
Barlean's registered formula is ideal for those seeking the best high-quality fish oil.
This fish oil supplement is delivered from freshly caught fish is an extremely clean source of ultra-pure fish oil with a protected pharmaceutical level, which offers high concentrations of EPA and DHA essential fatty acids for your radiant health and energy.
Benefits of Barlean's Omega-3
This exclusive product is designed for those looking for a natural way to support the optimal structure and function of the body:
- For flexible joints and healthy bones;
- For better mental health, vitality, and subtlety;
- For healthy cholesterol levels;
- For healthy skin, hair and nails;
- For the healthy function of the heart;
- It maintains the healthy glucose levels in the blood.
2-6 softgels daily with a meal.
Each soft gelatin capsule contains extremely clean, ultra-pure fish oil, extracted from the cold waters in the depths of the sea, from the body of the Peruvian anchovy, Pacific mackerel, and sardines. It contains gelatin and has a natural citrus flavor.
9) Nordic Naturals Omega-D3
Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega-D3 Supplement Overview
- Purity freshness - 3rd party tested;
- Superior triglyceride form;
- Concentrated fish oil plus vitamin D3 for optimal heart, bone, and immune health;
- Pharmaceutical grade;
- Molecularly distilled;
- Fish oil processed in Norway.
Benefits of Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega-D3 Supplement
Are you looking for the best omega-3 fatty acid product in the United States that has vitamin D3?
It will not only have concentrated levels of omega-3 fatty acids, but it will have one thousand IU of the D3 which is designed to help people improve the way they feel, add additional bone structure, improve their immune system, and also optimize how good they feel because of the Naturals Ultimate Omega-D3 supplement product.
Naturals Ultimate Omega-D3 supplement has many benefits including DHA and EPA, in addition to all of the other ingredients, creating a very beneficial product.
Cholecalciferol is natural, a form of D3 that can help with absorption into your system. Nordic Naturals fish oil supplement do not have any environmental toxins, PCBs, or anything else that could be unhealthy.
They are made with strict standards, those that are domestic and international, to improve their freshness and purity. You can request an independent analysis certificate if you wish.
What Is the Dosage for Taking Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega-D3
Two soft gels daily, with food, or as directed by your health care professional or pharmacist.
10) MRM Omega 3 Complex
MRM Smart Blend CLA, GLA, and Omega Fatty Acid Supplement Overview
- Metabolic response modifiers;
- Supports body fat reduction;
- Promotes cardiovascular health;
- Supports optimal immune health.
Benefits of MRM Smart Blend CLA, GLA, and Omega Fatty Acid
MRM Smart Blend CLA, GLA, and Omega Fatty Acid is a fish oil product that uses what are called smart fats which are simply fatty acids which are very beneficial for the human body, especially when used with athletes that are constantly depleting their system of nutrients and those that are health-oriented.
Your body does not manufacture any essential fatty acids, and that is why you need to have these essential fatty acids as part of your diet. The older that we get, the more difficult it is to produce enzymes that we need to process food that we consume. Specifically, free fatty acids cannot be converted as easily.
By having this mixture of refined Marine oil which will have all of these beneficial fats such as EPA and DHA, you can maximize your health by taking these every day. CLA is something that is found in beef, cheese, and oak.
Research has shown that those that take conjugated linoleic acid can help increase fat metabolism in the body. It can also increase lean muscle mass, and reduce the size of adipose cells in the body, helping reduce the size of your gut as you exercise.
It can also enhance your immune system, and also act as an antioxidant, plus make sure that you have proper cholesterol levels. GLA has what are called prostaglandins.
These are gamma-linolenic acids which can help with your immune system, joints, cardiovascular system, and can better production of glucose in the body plus help lower your high blood pressure. If you start with this Smart Blend which will include GLA, CLA, DHA, and EPA, you will be able to improve your health dramatically.
As a byproduct, you will see a reduction in body fat, better recovery times for muscle tissue rebuilding, and you will also have better production of insulin and testosterone which can also help with cardiovascular health and improve your immune system.
What Is the Dosage for Taking MRM Smart Blend CLA, GLA, and Omega-3
Take 2 softgels with a meal up to 3 times daily. For maximum benefits, take 4 softgels up to 3 times daily or as directed by your qualified healthcare provider.
What Are the Omega-3 Fatty Acids
The Omega 3 fatty acids are a group of nine polyunsaturated fatty acids. Most important for human nutrition are the following three:
- Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA);
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA);
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).
The common feature between the three fatty acids, which makes them a group, is the double carbon bond on position ω-3 (omega-3) in their molecular structure.
What Should We Know About Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs)
The Omega fatty acids, and, in particular, omega-3, are called essential because the human body cannot synthesize them from other non-essential materials. They play important roles in many biochemical processes.
It has been found that the body synthesizes omega-3 faster (as in a rivalry) if there is a parallel synthesis of omega 6 fatty acids on the place of the synthesis. Otherwise, the body finds it easier to absorb omega-3 EFAs from food.
Perhaps you have already begun to wonder what is the connection between omega 3 and omega 6 EFAs? The common thing in the two groups of fatty acids is their participation as basic components for the chemical synthesis of specific molecules, called eicosanoids.
These molecules have short-term signal features for a number of processes in the body. Thanks to them, our cells interact with each other.
The eicosanoids’ signal network primarily covers the immune and nervous system, as well as the communication between cells in damaged tissues (wounds, infections, etc.).
Different omega 3 EFAs are used for the synthesis of eicosanoids with opposite actions of synthesized omega 6 EFAs eicosanoids. This means that the body must have a balanced amount of both groups of essential fatty acids of at least 1:1 ratio.
The most common omega-3 EFAs:
- participate in the structure/composition of the cell and nuclear membranes of the cells;
- regulate and ensure many functions of the immune system with omega 6 EFAs;
- have an irreplaceable part in the regulation of inflammation and restoration;
- are donors for signaling molecules and thus are involved in the communication of cells of the nervous system.
What Is the Purpose Of Omega-3 Fatty Acids:
- reduce blood clotting;
- protect the heart from a heart attack;
- dilate blood vessels;
- assist in lowering blood pressure;
- suppress inflammation;
- assist in the removal of depression;
- reduce levels of triglycerides in the blood;
What Are the Possible Side Effects When Taking Omega-3
There are 2 types of risks from the consumption of omega-3 EFAs:
- Exceeding the recommended amounts of omega 3 which leads to imbalances in omega-3: omega-6 EFAs;
- Insufficient intake of omega-6 EFAs;
- Intake of bigger than the normal doses of omega-3 EFAs can lead to increased bleeding in case of an injury or even a temporary impossibility for coagulation. The consumption of anti-clotting drugs like aspirin can increase this risk;
- Statistics showcases where excess consumption of omega-3 EFAs for a long time was the most likely reason for the emergence of so-called Hemorrhagic stroke (Bleeds);
- Suppression of the immune response, as a result, the person gets more susceptible to infections and bacteria;
- The increase of bad cholesterol levels in people with certain genetic conditions.
Please, be aware that Omega 3:
- Reduces glycemic control in diabetics;
- Should not be taken by people with heart failure or chronic angina without medical prescription.
As potent sources of omega-3, specialists recommend fish oil (tuna, salmon, anchovy) and krill oil. Flaxseed oil is a source of low bioactivity. The daily prophylactic dose varies between 600 and 1800 mg EPA + DHA.
The American Association of Heart Health recommends 1,000 mg daily. Athletes and people with health problems can take higher doses of approximately 3000+ mg daily.
It is important to note that the amount of daily dose in milligrams is made by the sum of both fatty acids EPA + DHA, and not by the total quantity of fish oil.
Way of Intake
The parallel consumption of antioxidants and omega-3 EFAs reduces the effectiveness of additives.
There should be a few hours interval between the two additives. The intake should be with food- breakfast is a good time for that.
In Which Sports and Health Supplements Can We Find Omega-3
Omega-3 EFAs are most often involved in complex formulas, together with the omega 6 and omega 9 fatty acids.
Complex formulas with vitamins, minerals, amino acids, herbal extracts, and ECN are also a popular product on the market.